Energy Facts That Make You Go… Eh?

If you’re like most energy consumers, energy equals a bill that you pay at the end of each month; a

If you’re like most energy consumers, energy equals a bill that you pay at the end of each month; a bill that you keep low through less energy use, better and more energy-efficient equipment or appliances and ideally switching to solar so you don’t have a bill at all. But here’s some fun facts about energy that will not only make you look great should you drop one of these at a dinner party, but they might also help you lower that ever increasing energy bill.

Some Interesting Facts About Energy


Conventional light bulbs only use 10% of the energy they consume to create light. The other 90% of their energy creates heat. That’s why LED lights and compact florescent lights (CFLs) are more efficient; they have a design that allows them to use up to 80% of the energy they consume to produce light, creating brighter light and no heat. 

The U.S. is the second largest consumer of energy in the world and with that, every 20 years the amount of energy we use doubles. 



You’re using energy while you search through Google. Google accounts for roughly .013% of the world’s energy use, using enough energy to power 200,000 homes. By the time you’ve conducted 50 searches on Google, you’ve used as much energy as a 60-watt light bulb does within 14 minutes. Google processes more than 70,000 searches every second. 

While energy efficiency solutions have helped Americans save an estimated $800 billion each year, studies still show that approximately 30% of the energy used in buildings is used inefficiently and unnecessarily. 



HVAC is estimated to consume about 46% of the total energy used in your home and about 30% of the energy in your business. While lighting uses about 20% of the total U.S. electricity consumption. 

If a person yelled for 8 years, 7 months, and 6 days, he or she would produce enough energy to heat one cup of coffee.


To read all 53 interesting energy facts, visit 

More About Energy Professionals

Founded in 1999, Energy Professionals is one of North America’s leading Energy Consultants working with commercial customers to reduce and control their energy budgets, building client-specific, comprehensive energy strategies that factor in our client’s goals and objectives. Utilizing our extensive network of suppliers, energy efficiency experts and renewable energy partners, we bring the most effective, efficient and innovative technologies to the table. As an energy consulting firm, we offer both focused solutions to a specific issue and broad plans to address long-term growth, paving the way for energy independence, providing more choice and less waste. 

Choose Your Energy Supplier

Energy Professionals is committed to finding its customers the best possible rates on electricity and natural gas. Tell us your location and service type and our energy manager will connect you to the most competitive offers.

Switching to an alternate supplier is easy. There is no chance of service disruption, and you'll continue with your current utility for energy delivery and emergency service. Take a few minutes to discover your best offers, and enjoy the benefits of retail energy in your home or business.

1. Energy Type

2. Service Type

3. Zip Code